Thursday, February 24, 2011

The Golden Girls Tackle Lesbianism [television]

I happened to catch a 1986 episode of The Golden Girls this evening dealing with the issue of "lesbianism" entitled "Isn't it Romantic."

I found it interesting when the episode was made - I don't think of "gay" as becoming mainstream (ok, even talked about) until the 1990's, but these witty old ladies from Miami were always ahead of their time.


Dorothy's old friend, Jean comes to Miami for a visit and Dorothy decides not to tell Blanche and Rose that Jean is a lesbian. Then, after spending time with Rose, Jean begins to fall for her. Meanwhile, a new VCR, prompts Sophia to rent "dirty movies."


I also enjoy seeing the shifts in technology over the years, and it tickles me to death that Sophia is using the "new" technology of VCRs to rent and watch dirty movies!

Here is the entire episode via YouTube:

No comments:

Post a Comment